Continuing on with Rome! After trying to visit the Pantheon (which I called the Parthenon for much of the trip), we visited Piazza Navona, which was filled with musicians looking for money, and people selling lots of random stuff, though mostly drawings and paintings of the sites in Rome. There was also a really nice fountain in the middle, which represented the Four Rivers (by Bernini, who by the look of things in Rome was a pretty busy man). After this, we finally took a short break, to rest a bit and get warmer clothes for the night.
For the night, we went to Trastevere, which was a smaller, less big-city feeling area of Rome. This was where Ashley had spent her summer last year, so she knew the area well. We went to our nicest (and most expensive) dinner here in Trastevere. It was excellent. We had an appetizer (which turned out to be listed as a per-person price on the menu rather than a flat total rate) of grilled vegetables (including grilled zucchini, which I had really been missing), and a plate of meats. However, we steered clear of the plate of cubed uncooked ham in olive oil. It wasn't the most appetizing thing I have ever seen. For the main dish, I had a really good white-sauce pasta with little pieces of ham and amazing mushrooms. It was excellent. After dinner, we walked up to the top of Trastevere, with a really nice fountain (which I've heard was an embassy). It was nice to just sit down and look at the city from high up. It seemed that every night, we ended up at a viewing point of the entire city. And, it seemed that each night we found a better viewing spot. So, this was an awesome first view, but was eventually trumped
This ends my saturday in Rome. And, I can't really start writing about a new day. I've included a couple pictures. One is of the Four Rivers Fountain in Piazza Navona. The other is in front of a random water fountain, which was actually an old bath. Definitely not a popular tourist landmark, but still seemed very authentic Roman.

No comments:
Post a Comment